Everett youth charged in vicious beating

An Everett youth is being charged in an alleged vicious beating in downtown Boston that left a South End man with permanent brain damage – and it was all over Chinese food.

On Mother’s Day, May 10, three Roxbury youths and Eric Wallace, 19, of Everett, were in Boston Chinatown eating at the New Golden Gate Restaurant. The 29-year-old victim and a friend were preparing to order when they decided to go outside for a cigarette. The two groups were separate, but sitting at a common table.

Wallace and his pals ordered food and ate it while the two men were outside.

When the victims returned to the table, Wallace and the others demanded money to pay for the food.

The victim and his friend allegedly sensed trouble and decided to leave the restaurant.

However, they were allegedly followed.

The four youths confronted the two men on a nearby street and despite several attempts by the victims to walk away – the youths allegedly continued their confrontation.

Finally, on Tremont Street, the youths allegedly attacked the pair.

The victim was pushed to the ground while his friend fled the scene in fear of his life.

Evidence suggests that one or more of the suspects stomped on the victim’s head more than half a dozen times, fracturing his skull, cracking his eye sockets, and tearing his lower lip open before stealing his wallet.

In addition to his fractures and contusions, the victim was left with bruising and swelling to his brain, memory loss, and permanent cognitive damage. At the time, he was a resident of Boston’s South End; he has since left Massachusetts.

The man who was walking with the victim fled the scene while the suspects punched and kicked the victim. Investigators wish to speak with that man and any other witnesses to the attack; Boston Police District One detectives may be reached at 617-343-4571.

Wallace and the other three youths were finally arrested last weekend and were formally charged Tuesday with mayhem, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unarmed robbery. If convicted, they could face up to 20 years in state prison.

“Aside from the sheer brutality of the attack, what’s disturbing here is that, as far as we know, the suspects and victim had no connection prior to these events,” Conley said. “What happened to this man could have happened to anyone with the bad fortune to be seated next to them. The close work between police and prosecutors since that night was a shared effort to see that it doesn’t happen again.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *