EHS Sports Roundup

EHS Boys Soccer Defeats Malden, 4-2

Captain Moses Herrera scored two goals to lead the Everett High boys soccer team to a 4-2 victory over Greater Boston League rival Malden this past Friday.

Teammates Erasmo DaSilva and Fransisko also reached the back of the Malden net.

The victory was preceded by a pair of losses for the Crimson Tide to St. John’s Prep, 4-2, and Medford, 7-1. 

“We managed to change things around on Friday in the Malden game,” said EHS head coach Pedro Blas. “We played as a team and Moses, our captain, stepped up with two goals.”

Blas and his crew host Charlestown this evening (Wednesday) under the lights at Everett stadium at 7:00. They will travel to Somerville next Monday.

EHS Field Hockey Earns Win, Tie

The Everett High field hockey team enjoyed a productive week, earning a victory and a tie in three contests.

The most dramatic encounter of the three-game span was a deadlock with Malden last Tuesday in which DJ Schovanec put home the tying tallying on a corner from Ashley Yebbha with about three minutes to play.

“We had great defense and great goalie play by Saria Velez,” said EHS head coach Melissa O’Donnell. 

On the following day, the Lady Crimson Tide went up against a strong Burlington team.

“Our girls battled hard, but we came up short,” said O’Donnell. “Elizabeth Peach played a fantastic net for us in that game.”

This past Friday O’Donnell’s squad came through with a big win against a competitive Lawrence team by a score of 6-0.

Leading the way for the Everett offensive barrage was Peach, who scored two goals. Teammates Yebba, Estefany Lemus, Haley Oteri, and Ashley Fitzgerald all scored their first goals of the season.

O’Donnell and her crew have a busy week on tap. They were scheduled to take on Revere this past Monday and will host Gloucester tomorrow (Thursday) and Rockport on Saturday morning at 11:15 in a contest that will be highlighted by Senior Day festivities.

EHS Girls Soccer Drops Close Contests

The Everett High girls soccer team battled well, but came up short in a pair of contests this past week.

In a 3-2 loss to Medford last Monday, the Lady Crimson Tide controlled play for much of the game, but were unable to finish many of their chances.

“It was a well-fought game,” said EHS head coach DeAnn Gallagher. “We dominated for what seemed to be the majority of the game, but we just got unlucky. The win was within reach. We just couldn’t get a strong grip on it.”

Although Medford scored within the first four minutes of the contest, the Everett squad remained undaunted and battled with high intensity.

The team’s hard work paid off when sophomore Gitalia Boyce scored her first goal of the season to bring the game back to level just before the end of the half.

“It was a well-deserved goal,” said Gallagher. “Gitalia has had so many opportunities to score this season, but just can’t seem to finish.”

 The Everett girls continued to play with ferocity after the intermission. “We wanted this game more than anything, to prove our abilities against a good GBL team,” noted Gallagher.

After Everett had several scoring opportunities that could have given the Lady Crimson Tide the lead, they forged ahead when a corner-kick by captain Carolann Cardinale landed in the center of the box. Sophomore Zineb Drissi was right where she should have been and was able to get a foot on the ball to tap it into the net to make it 2-1.

However, Medford responded with a goal on a breakaway and then scored the game-winner for the 3-2 finale.

“The girls came so close,” noted Gallagher. “It was so heartbreaking to see them play so aggressively and so well, but to come up short.”

Two days later in a battle with Malden, another Greater Boston League rival, the Lady Crimson Tide fell by a score of 5-2.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game right from the start, due to the torrential downpour and wind,” said Gallagher, referring to last Wednesday’s nor’easter.

After Malden took a 2-0 lead, Everett continued to play tough despite the score and the cold weather, creating several opportunities to cut into the deficit.

Their efforts paid off when Cardinale delivered a corner-kick that found senior Rosemary Bonilla at the back post for a one-touch into the back of the net to make it 2-1 with five minutes left in the first half.

Malden scored again shortly after the intermission to regain a two goal lead, but Everett got back into it when Boyce and teammate Ashley Tejada battled fiercely for the ball just inside the Malden 18. Boyce won control and delivered a shot that beat the Malden goalie into the bottom left corner to make it a one goal game once again, 3-2.

However, that would be as close as Everett would get on the day, as Malden found the net two more times for the 5-2 finale.

“It’s unfortunate that we had to play them in cold rain and hard winds,” noted Gallagher, “We had tied them in our first meeting, but the weather didn’t help us in the rematch.”

Gallgehr and her crew are scheduled to trek to Salem tomorrow (Thursday) and will host Cambridge on Saturday in a contest that will be highlighted by Senior Night festivities.

They then will entertain Somerville on Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *