Police Arrest Man Twice in One Day,Threatened Elementary School Principal

By Seth Daniel

Police have arrested an Everett man that threatened an elementary school principal on Monday, and, only a few hours later, was arrested a second time while allegedly driving intoxicated on a motorcycle.

It was his fourth operating under the influence of liquor charge.

On Monday November 28, 2016 at 2:22 p.m., Everett Police Officers responded to Edith Street area where a report of an intoxicated parent, possibly driving, was with a 10-year-old child.

The principal of the Lafayette School pointed out the parent and child to police. The officers conducted a well being check of the child and the parent. The parent, later identified as Steven Byrnes, 52, of Everett, began swearing and cursing at the police officer and the principal. Byrnes was told several times by the officer to calm down and he continued his verbal tirade in front of several parents and children.

He was taken into custody after refusing several attempts to calm down. He continued to make verbal threats against the officer and the principal. The child was transported to his residence by another police officer.

Department of Children and Families was notified and a 51A was filed. Later, Byrnes was released on bail.

Nine hours later and fresh out of lockup, Byrnes was allegedly back at it again.

At 11:43 p.m., Everett dispatch received a telephone call from a boy reporting that his father was intoxicated and left the house on a yellow motorcycle. A police officer working a construction detail spotted the yellow motorcycle soon after the call.

The motorcycle operator broadcast the direction of the motorcycle and that the motorcycle was swerving all over the road. Patrol officers in a marked unit stopped the motorcycle on Linden Street. The officers detected a strong odor of alcoholic beverage, observed that his eyes were glassy and he was unsteady on his feet. The operator, identified as Byrnes, refused to perform any field sobriety tests. Based on the officers’ observations and motorcycle operation, Byrnes was placed into custody.

He was charged with OUI 4th offense, and Operating a Motor Vehicle with a Suspended License.

He was held without bail pending arraignment at Malden District Court Tuesday morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *