Supporting Small Business Owners
To the Editor,
My name is Gerly Adrien. I am running a people-powered campaign to become the next Mayor of Everett. As a Small Business Owner, I have experienced what it means to take each day step by step. But as a current City Councilor At-Large, I’m also aware of the potential this city must create opportunities for all of us – especially when it comes to entrepreneurship. This is why I am introducing my initial “Supporting Small Business Owners” plan this week. Furthermore, I welcome all feedback and suggestions.
My husband, David Lindsey and I always wanted to start a small business. We wanted a space where everyone was welcomed and felt at home. We have been small business owners for 3 years now. Tipping Cow Ice Cream (www.tippingcowicecream.com), which provides nut-free and dairy-free options, is in Somerville, near the neighborhood I was born in. Tipping Cow was awarded Boston Magazine’s Best of Boston 2020 for Best Ice Cream, Food Network Magazine’s Best ice cream for Massachusetts for 2021 and Top 40 Ice Cream across the country. We are opening our second location in Boston in the Charles Speedway. We understand what it means to save up and wait for customers to come by. We know what it means to have rent increases. I love being a Small Business Owner and know small business owners are the lifeline to cities like Everett.
Under my leadership, I will ensure the fight for economic growth is universal and for all. Below are some of my suggestions on how to do this:
• Help Small Businesses increase revenues by making it easier to work with the City of Everett.
• Ease the process for new businesses to get started or change to new business models by making the permitting and licensing process easier.
• Strengthen the Chamber Of Commerce’s Small Business Workshops, Roundtables, And Collaboration.
• Establish A Grant / Loan Fund For Small Business Owners.
• Implement Small, Local Business Procurement Preference.
• Advance 25% Hiring Benchmark For City Residents In City Contracts.
• Allow A 10% Preference For Local And Small Businesses.
• To Allow Estate Planning Assistance for Everyone.
*Read the full plan and other plans on www.gerly.adrien.com
We need a Mayor to fight for everyone.
As a City Councilor, I made a pledge to put the people first, and as a candidate for mayor, I am doubling down on this effort.
Together, we can move Everett forward by being more transparent as to where we are investing city funds, and ensuring that our businesses, families, and services needed for our residents are being prioritized in our spending.
We cannot afford another four years of lack of investment and lack of support to our Small Business Owners. Everett needs change. Join me in this fight to win for our future.